The structured education sessions in pulmonary rehabilitation programs can cover many topics and will be dependent upon the availability of health professionals who are conducting the program. Topics can include:
- Information about your lungs and your lung condition and how to keep your lungs clearer.
- Understanding how your medicines work.
- How to breathe and how to coordinate your breathing and movements so that you can do more. You’ll be shown how to pace yourself; be shown physical aids that can help you with tasks that you find difficult; and tips on how to make things like drying yourself off after a shower easier.
- How to identify worsening symptoms and when it’s time to call your health care professional so you can reduce your chances of spending time in hospital.
- Managing stress, anxiety and depression.
- Important nutritional information.
- Understanding what support services are available to you in the community.
For those who are unable to attend a pulmonary rehabilitation program, you won’t miss out because ALL this important information is contained within this online education program.