Other helpful support services in the community

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs can provide financial, medical, transport and homecare assistance for those people who have served in the armed services. The assistance available includes the following options:

  • Gold Card. Veterans who have served for their country and who are deemed suitable for this benefit are eligible for a full range of health care services.
  • White Card. Veterans who have served for their country are eligible for compensation related to their service in the forces. Australian veterans are eligible for Veterans’ Home Care; however, British or other overseas veterans are not eligible for Veterans’ Home Care.
  • Orange Card. Eligible veterans can access the range of pharmaceutical items available under the Repatriation Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

For more information contact Veterans’ Home Care (phone: 1300 550 450).

The Home and Community Care Program provides government funding for the frail aged and young disabled people, and includes the following services:

  • Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme.
  • Meals on Wheels.
  • Community Agencies (for example, Queensland Health Primary and Community Health Services, Blue Care™, Spiritus and Ozcare).
  • Palliative Care Services.
  • Home Assist Secure (Queensland Government Department of Housing).
  • Aged Care Assessment Service.
  • Community Aged Care Packages.
  • Day or Respite Care. (This can be accessed via the My Aged Care initiative or the National Disability Insurance Scheme)

The National Smoking Quitline (phone: 137 848) provides assistance if you wish to quit smoking.

Will Preparation Do-It Yourself Kits are available for purchase if you wish to prepare a will. Alternatively, speak to a solicitor or a Public Trustee in your state.

Counselling and information services, such as:

  • Lifeline (phone: 131 114)
  • Centacare (located in your capital city)
  • Suicide Call Back Service (phone: 1300 659 467)
  • Beyond Blue Info Line (phone: 1300 22 4636)
  • The Shed OnLine (www.beyondblue.org.au/)
  • Carer’s Australia (phone: 1800 242 636).

Financial support services such as:

  • Centrelink Financial Services 13 23 00;
  • Financial Counselling Service 1800 007 007.

Contact the Legal Aid service and Public Trustee Office within your State or Territory.

Relationships Australia 1300 364 277 and Mensline 1300 78 99 78.

Contact the Department of Housing within your State or Territory for information and referral to appropriate agencies including Homelessness Information services. If your issues are related to a private rental property you may wish to contact your local Tenant Advice and Advocacy Service – refer to your local phone directory for your nearest service contact details.