Puffers (also known as a metered dose inhaler or an aerosol) may be used with a Haleraid® and / or a spacer, which is a small or large volume holding chamber.
The Haleraid® can assist those people who have difficulties pressing the canister.
A Haleraid® can be obtained from independent living centres or pharmacies, and are available in two sizes.
Puffer and spacer
- Sit upright or stand.
- Assemble the spacer and shake to ensure that the one way valve is not stuck and rattles.
- Hold the puffer upright, remove the cap and shake well.
- Place the puffer mouthpiece into the end of the spacer opposite to the valve.
- Place the mouthpiece between your teeth and close your lips around it making sure your neck is slightly tilted back.
- Breathe out gently and slowly.
- Activate the puffer into the spacer once only.
- Breathe in and out through your mouth normally for four breaths.
- Wait 30 seconds between doses and repeat steps 2 to 8.