How to use the puffer (or metered dose inhaler)
A puffer is also known as a metered dose inhaler, or an aerosol.
In the puffer, the medicine is stored under pressure in the metal canister. When the puffer is fired, a fine mist of the medicine is produced that can be inhaled into the lungs. These devices work best with spacers or holding chambers (see the following section on puffers and spacers).
1. Remove the cap.
2. Hold the puffer upright and shake vigorously.
3. Raise your chin and look straight ahead.
4. Breathe out gently and fully (facing away from the inhaler).
6. As you slowly start to breathe in, fire the canister by pressing firmly and continue to breathe in deeply.
8. Breathe out gently.
9. If you need to deliver two doses of your medicine, wait 30 to 60 seconds between doses and repeat steps 2 to 8.
10. Replace cap.