How speech pathologists can help you with swallowing problems
Speech pathologists are trained to assess, diagnose and treat swallowing and communication problems. They can:
- Assess your current swallowing function and determine the cause of your swallowing problem.
- Recommend appropriate foods and fluids, as well as strategies to improve swallowing safety.
- Start you on swallowing therapy, if appropriate.
- Identify the need for further investigations.
- Liaise with other health care professionals.