Before starting a home-based exercise program
Before starting a home-based exercise program, you should:
- Talk to your doctor or relevant health care professional (e.g. Physiotherapist or Accredited Exercise Physiologist). They will help you set a plan to meet your current health concerns.
- Always choose activities you enjoy and vary them to help you stay motivated.
- Start slowly and build up gradually.
- Set goals to keep you on track and use strategies like an exercise diary to monitor your progress and symptoms.
- Have a safety plan in place: If living alone advise friends and family members of the times you would generally be exercising and ensure you have a working personal alarm system and in reach whilst exercising.
- Know the danger signs; become familiar with signs and symptoms which indicate you should not be exercising. This may include: nausea, chest pain, dizziness, feeling faint, extreme shortness of breath, excessive wheezing or coughing up blood.